Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Swimming Pool Electrocution - How Much Do We Know?


Aside from the complex plot of the movie Syriana which turned movie goers into accidental researchers  and also sparked a bit of controversy, what troubled me, along with other parents, is the swimming pool accident that killed Bryan Wood's (Matt Damon) son (ooops!... spoiler, sorry).


Wood's son was electrocuted after jumping into the pool with "cracked" underwater pool lights. The tragic scene depicted raised the question if it can really happen in real life. The answer is... yes, swimming pool electrocution can happen rarely but deadly.

The U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) has reported cases of 60 deaths due to pool electrocution and around 50 injuries due to shock from 1990-2002:

  • 28 - Plugged-in radios or stereos, extension cords or power tools
  • 13 - Underwater pool lights
  • 10 - Pool pumps
  • 9 - Sump pumps, pool vacuums or pressure washers

The small figures say "rare" but it doesn't take away the possibility that electrocution can happen in any place, in less likely situations.

In June 10, 1991, 3 men were electrocuted at Kings Island amusement park in Mason, Ohio, this time the accident happened in a pond. Although a pond is different from a pool, the accident gives the idea that electrocution can happen either in or around the pool, pond or any enclosed body of water.

Like Virgina Graeme Baker who died in a pool suction entrapment accident and the basis of Virginia Graeme Baker Pool and Spa Safety Act, Yasmin Paleso’o, who died of pool electrocution accident, urged state legislative measure which requires all pool owners to install ground fault interrupter (GFI) safety devices. The bill is now known as the Yasmin Paleso'o Memorial Swimming Pool Safety Law.

Ground fault interrupter (GFI), don't get confused with ground fault circuit interrupter (GFCI) because they are the same thing and can be used interchangeably, should be installed, by code, to protect persons against electric shock, in or around pools, ponds, bathrooms, laundry rooms, garages and other places where water or moisture could cause problems.

Photo Courtesy of IAEI Mag

A GFI would trip at at 5 mA to protect a swimmer in contact with the circuit from lethal shock. GFI should always be checked regularly and be replaced whenever necessary.

Going back to the movie, we should first understand that a person should be in the middle of the electricity and the ground, in simpler explanation electricity would find its way to the ground and if a you are in the "path" then, you would "alter" the ground.

Also, wires are installed parallel to the pool walls that's why there's a chance of the boy being electrocuted if he jumped near the faulty wires or if he was holding some kind of metal object. The Syriana pool accident scene is possible is not impossible but very unlikely to happen in reality.

But thank you to that tragic scene, we have discussed the importance of proper wiring in the pool, pond and so on. Unfortunately, some countries are not aware of the Yasmin Paleso'o Memorial Swimming Pool Safety Law and don't understand the use of GFI.

Hopefully, with this post, every pool owner would be urged to maintain proper wiring and use GFI for maximu safety.

Special thanks to our good friends at Metafilter and The Straight Dope

17 comments:

  1. Hi people..I would like to read more about this article..Thanks for this article anyway..It gave me additional information.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the write. Doesn't really go too deep. Will need to look for more info.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's nice to know so many facts, thanks for sharing this informative post.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your blog is awe-inspiring. I have found many new things. Your way of staging is also fascinating. You have elected very incredible topic. I appreciated it.
    Pool Cover

    ReplyDelete
  5. We face several swimming pool accidents which may be very dangerous for us. Many people get dead and injured due to such pool accident. Which is a shame for the swimming pool owner? It is due to careless maintenance of swimming pool. This blog gives a new look towards swimming pool safety and some basic valuable tips to stop or reduce the swimming pool accidents. In my point of view every swimming pool owners should read this.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It was very useful for me. Keep sharing such ideas in the future as well. This was actually what I was looking for, and I am glad to came here! Thanks for sharing the such information with us.

    ReplyDelete
  7. SEO Company PitampuraOctober 6, 2015 at 12:54 AM

    Thank you, your experience is quite encouraging to me. I think this is the best option for me at the moment.

    ReplyDelete
  8. post has many error/typos making it hard to understand... GFI vs GFCI ? don't get confused because it's the same?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your submitted blog is full of various new things introduced here which we really don't know earlier. Nice information you have shared her.

    DC Solar Pumps

    ReplyDelete
  10. Big argument around our condo pool right now! :-(

    ReplyDelete



  11. يسمح لنا في شركة ركن البيت القيام بجميع الخدمات المنزلية التي تجعلنا متفوقين علي غيرنا في لنظافة العامة بواسطة اساليب متميزة فلدينا خدمات شركة تنظيف مسابح بالرياض التي نعمل فيها علي نظافة المسابح وقتل البكتريا التي توجد بها بواسطة الاليات التي يستخدمها عمالنا ولدينا قسم شركة تنظيف خزانات بالرياض للقيام بجميع اعمال النظافة السليمة للخزانات العلوية والارضية وقتل جميع البكتريا التي توجد بها

    ReplyDelete
  12. HOW I WAS CURE WITH HERBS
    My name is Mrs Tina Jose am from Mexico I have been suffering from asthma , i was leaving with it for years with inhaler but all I ever wanted was to get rid of it permanently until i was directed to Dr Okosun for herbal mixture he helped me with it then i took it for just one week now am physically fit all thanks to him he is one of the best herbalist if you have any similar health problem like asthma,diabetes, stomach ulcer and some other S.T.D contact him today on email okosunjustice909@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. I learned a lot from reading through some of your earlier posts as well and decided to drop a comment on this one!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I don’t know how should I give you thanks! I am totally stunned by your article. You saved my time. Thanks a million for sharing this article.

    ReplyDelete
  15. There's always a possibility of electricity failure, so be careful with it even though you'r only bringing a flashlight into a pool. Electricity Distribution Company

    ReplyDelete

Like the post? Feel free to leave a comment :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...